Caramoan is considered to be a first class type of municipality. It is located within Camarines Sur province which belongs to Bicol region of the Philippines. You will find it at the tip of the Caramoan Peninsula which is a rugged place of land. It stretches up to the waters of the Maqueda Channel on the north and east while it continues to the Lagonoy Gulf on the south. According to the census of 2010, its population is 44, 945. It is bounded by the town of Garchitorena and the Philippine Sea of the Pacific Ocean on the north. While on the west, its boundary is the Presentacion municipality. Lagonoy Gulf and the Maqueda Channel are its boundaries on the south and east respectively.
As a municipality, it consists of about 277.41 square kilometers or 107.11 square miles. Its irregular coastline which comprises of about 71 kilometers or 44 miles is surrounded by vast ocean, swamps, seas and bay. From Metro Manila, it is approximately 500 kilometers or 310 miles while from Pili municipality, it is about 95 kilometers or 59 miles. Located in Caramoan are the Naga Domestic Airport and the provincial government office. From Naga City, Caramoan is located 68 miles or 110 kilometers east. Naga City is known to be the heart of Bicol.
The term Caramoan has been officially used since 1619. During that year, it was also named as such by Francisco de la Cruz Y Oropesa who happens to be a Spanish missionary friar. When Fr. Oropesa infiltrated the virgin forest of the Caramoan Peninsula, he built a small settlement called the Baluarte. Later on, this settlement was handed to the administration of the Holy Bishopric in 1696.
Before the Spaniards arrived, the place was once called Guta de Leche. Such name was given by the Dutch traders who were operating a gold mine in Lahuy Island. They were frequent in the area to trade with the natives. Possibly, the name was taken from the milk drop stalagmites seen in the rocks of Guta Port. The place was then called “Carahan” when the Spaniards arrived. During that time, there were many sea turtles present along the Peninsula shore.